In recent years, the unofficial terms 'Upper Meads' and 'Lower Meads' have been coined to differentiate between that section of the ward on higher ground to the west, and the lower part nearer to the town centre.
All Saints Hospital was built between 18 on land given by the 7th Duke of Devonshire; its chapel was added in 1874.
All Saints was built as an Anglo-Catholic nunnery and convalescent home and designed by Henry Woodyer.
By 1890, imposing houses in neat tree-lined roads stood on what had been grazing land and cornfields – Meads had become the smart end of town.
Its residents were the well to do, and included professionals, self-made men, retired officers and former members of the Colonial Civil Service.
Hart's Cottages at the side were mainly occupied by workmen and their families, and were demolished in the 1960s to make way for a car park.